TOK Blog Post

How does perspective change the way you view the world?

Everyone has their own ideas about how they see the world. The perspective of each one is really different. For me for example, Europe and Africa are in the middle of the world because that was the map that I have grown with. But if you ask an Asian person how the view the world, they would say that Asia is on the middle.
I believe that culture can affect the way people look at the world. The culture in each country is very different. They grow with the perspective that they are “better” than other countries. Even if the country is not that good, they will support their country. If I ask some people from all around the world to draw a map, they will definitely draw their continent with more details than the others, because they are used to see the world like that and because their tendency is to know where they came from better than other places. I do not know how to draw every island around China (Thailand, Taiwan or Japan) but I have a better view of islands in South America. My perspective does not allow me to draw other places better than where I came from but for a Chinese person is much easier. All depends about the perspective, because without that, you cannot even know where you came from. We need to have at least a brief perspective from where we came.
We did an activity in TOK class that each of us had to draw the map world, how we imagine the world. I drew South America with much more detail than the rest of the world. King, Josh, Daphne and Erik drew Asia really detailed. Their education affected the way they see the world, because here in Asia they like to say that they are at the centre of the world, as all countries.
I realized that on Erik’s map, he did not connect Central America with South America together, probably because he does not have an idea in how America is divided.
I do not think that there is a correct or incorrect map. That depends on the culture and how the person has grown. We cannot agree in a perfect map because everyone has grown in different ways, so they have different opinions about the world.